Pulling together in a crisis
When the pandemic first tore through our city, I lost a lot of sleep. I worried about how we’d feed the growing number of families coming to our doors as our resources were stretched thin. I worried about how we’d keep our staff, volunteers, and clients safe.
They say that people’s true nature comes out in a crisis—and I’ve never been so proud, humbled, and grateful to be a part of the Mississauga community. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You’ve stood with us—in spite of your own hardships—to ensure that no vulnerable neighbour goes hungry in this time of greatest need.
I’d especially like to thank Mayor Crombie and Mohamad Fakih, CEO of Paramount Fine Foods, for their leadership over the course of the #MississaugaChallenge. With their tireless efforts and the boundless generosity of our community, together we’ve raised over $1.2 million in two months, far exceeding our greatest hopes!
Your generosity has already made a tremendous impact, allowing us to:
- Feed almost 3,000 neighbours facing hunger for the first time.
- Open an emergency food bank serving up to 40 families daily.
- Expand our Food Bank 2 Home program twelve-fold to ensure that those most vulnerable to the virus can stay safe at home.
- Partner with new organizations to increase our reach.
- Provide $115,000 in emergency support to our partner agencies.
- Keep our clients, staff, and volunteers safe with PPE and sanitary supplies.
Thanks to you, we no longer have to worry about turning hungry neighbours away during the worst of this crisis. All told, you’ve already provided food for 974,928 meals—and precious peace of mind— to those most in need.
In the coming months, we hope that the pandemic will fade. But the need in our community won’t go away any time soon. In fact, it will likely keep growing as emergency benefits like CERB end. You’ve proven that you’re a dedicated partner in the fight against hunger.
Please keep standing with us so that no one in Mississauga goes hungry in the face of hardship
Thank you once again for showing true compassion in this time of unprecedented need. We couldn’t keep our vulnerable neighbours safe and nourished without you.