We’re back with our weekly feature of a nutritious and affordable recipe. This #MightyMeals, we’re showing you how to make a quick and easy Penne Bolognese. For less than $2/serving, you can feed up to four people with this tasty pasta!
Penne Bolognese: 4 Servings
- 4 tbsp Oil ($0.16)
- 500g Ground Pork – Can substitute for chicken, beef or turkey. ($3.97)
- 2 Onions ($0.5)
- 2 Carrots ($0.3)
- 2 Ribs of Celery ($0.27)
- 5 Garlic Cloves ($0.02)
- 375ml White Wine, Stock or Water
- 250ml Milk ($0.55)
- 3 cans of Crushed Tomatoes ($2.61)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce ($0.7)
- 2 tbsp Ketchup ($0.15)
- 1 package of Penne Pasta ($0.97)
- 1 tbsp ground Coriander Seeds (Optional)
- 1 Star Anis (Optional)
- 1 tsp ground Cloves (Optional)
- 2 tsp ground Thyme (Optional)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Optional)
- 30ml Vinegar (Optional)
- In a small sauce pot, heat the pan with 2 tbsp of oil. Place ground pork in a sauce pot and cook until golden brown.
- Dice 1.5 onions, 2 carrots, 3 cloves of garlic, and celery.
- Add diced vegetables to the sauce pot and cook on medium for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add either white wine, stock, or water and milk. Add ground clove, ground coriander, thyme, and bay leaf. Let simmer for 2 hours.
- In a separate pot, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add 0.5 diced onions, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add 3 cans of tomatoes and simmer until the stewed ground pork is ready.
- Combine the stewed tomatoes and pork together in one single pot. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and vinegar. Season to taste.
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water to the time specified on the package. Ladle bolognese on top of hot pasta. Serve with grated cheese.
- Enjoy your meal! Take a photo and tag us for a chance to be featured.